The Potty Training Discovery

potty trainingI hear it all the time, “Girls are so much easier to potty train.”

I beg to differ.

About three weeks have passed and our potty training adventure has experienced  it’s ups and downs, twists and turns.

Chloe gets it. She knows when she needs to go potty, because while we are out – she stays dry. Last weekend, we were out for three hours, we went to breakfast and purchased our tree. We came home to a dry little Chloe.

While out, she says she needs to go, so of course, I drop everything and immediately rush to the bathroom. She takes one look at the restroom and the same sentence spills out, “I go at home.” Maybe this slightly germophobic mother has conditioned my daughter to fear public bathrooms because not even lollipop bribes work. And my daughters love lollipops more than anything, their special treat reserved for special times.

And the deeper I get into this potty training adventure, the more I am thinking that a huge bottle of Xanix should be included in every potty training seat or kit. Because the moment I hear, “I need to go potty,” I turn into a mad women. Cars cannot get out of my way quick enough and no one deserves to be in front of the line at the bathroom more than me and my about-to-pee-in-her-pants daughter. Of course, I hold my composure and have successfully hunted down the bathroom key, located the bathroom and patiently waited in line every time in hopes of Chloe actually going in the public restroom – only to hear, “I go potty at home.” And the desperate need of Xanix kicks in again as I stress out that her car seat will soon become puddled, but it hasn’t.

She waits and she goes in our potty, the moment we walk in the door.

Great right? She is able to hold it the entire time, although probably not so good on her bladder.

Well, at home is where the problem arises.

Poop always makes it in the potty, I am mighty thankful for that. But her pee? Let’s just say, I probably have the cleanest floors in town thanks to all the spot cleaning I have done the past three weeks. She never goes on our area rug, always on the tile or hardwood.

But, I discovered something – and it is pretty gross.

She releases her pee when she is barefoot. Then, she stomps in it. And I am thinking, she enjoys this.

Now, shoes are a must. Hopefully my theory stands true and we get to the bottom of this potty training by the time Santa arrives. Because that will be the ultimate Christmas gift this momma will receive.

Related posts:

1. The Joys of Potty Training
  2. What Have You Called Your M&Ms Lately?
  3. Random Tuesday Thoughts
  4. Melt Down On Isle 9
  5. Strider Sports: Ditch The Training Wheels! Review and Giveaway
17 Responses to The Potty Training Discovery
  1. Shana Putnam
    December 15, 2010 | 11:35 am

Well, we were lucky in that Blaze trained pretty quickly in all ways. But I want to tell you that you are not alone and Blaze will not use a public restroom. Ever. He did one time and it terrified him because it was so loud and he will not even go in the restroom to see them now. I just tell him that if he won’t go then he has to hold it and not to pee in his pants. You know what? he does too. He never wets himself. He is a marathon pee holder I think. I have let him go in a parking lot, sad but true, when he really needed to because that was a better alternative than peeing in his pants. Of course I had the car door open and I was blocking him and being a boy this is a bunch easier than it would be for a girl.

2. Pam
    December 15, 2010 | 11:40 am

Potty training does not sound fun. Hopefully Chloe will get it soon.

3. Krystyn
    December 15, 2010 | 11:56 am

You’ll have to let us know if the shoe theory holds true. Our youngest needs to do it, but she has no desire. And, I don’t feel like taking forever to do it!

BTW, hate the mad potty dash, too!

4. Jill
    December 15, 2010 | 11:59 am

I am so glad potty training is over in my house! LOL. Kathleen hated the automatic flusher, always terrified her. I started carrying post it notes to cover the sensor so it wouldn’t flush on her. Must have been a man invention, lol. Hope it gets better soon. I lug seat protectors, wipes, etc to every place we go. Not a fan of public restrooms either lol. But you r right holding it is not good for them. Wishing you the best!
    blessings,
    Jill

5. Molly
    December 15, 2010 | 12:46 pm

My niece won’t use public restrooms either, so my SIL bought a travel potty & keeps it in the back of her van. It’s a little funny watching my niece use the back of the van as a bathroom, but as a mom you know, it’s about what works for your kid & makes life a little easier.

here’s the potty that my SIL loves!
    Potette Plus 2-in-1 Portable Potty & Trainer

6. Shannon
    December 15, 2010 | 2:09 pm

I am not looking forward to potty training Gillian Grace!

Good luck with the new theory! Hope it works and I’m sure it would be a great gift for you!

Shannon

7. angie
    December 15, 2010 | 2:50 pm

Boys are way easier during those first weeks when they need to go every time you are out. If there isn’t a bathroom near by they can just pee in a bottle. :)

8. debi9kids
    December 15, 2010 | 8:13 pm

As the mom of 6 boys and 3 girls, I will agree with you. Boys ARE easier! Much easier. It’s because girls have attitude and boys don’t ;)

9. Debby
    December 16, 2010 | 6:03 am

She definately knows what she is doing. It’s awesome that she can hold it until she gets home. I think we have all enjoyed stomping in puddles in our bare feet, she just has a twist on it!

10. Allison @ Alli 'n Son
    December 16, 2010 | 12:16 pm

Potty training is soooooo frustrating. We’re 6 months into it with my son. I just now feel like he has a firm grasp on it. Pooping was the hard one for him. But a little dose of mom guilt was enough to finally convince him that he should be pooping on the potty, not in his pull ups. Good luck, she’ll get it eventually.

11. Amy
    December 16, 2010 | 2:18 pm

How old is Chloe? It took my oldest daughter 3 tries {2 1/2, 2 3/4 & finally age 3} to get it.

Potty training is the pits. I’d rather have a root canal sans anesthesia. ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope to have you follow. I’m a new follower here.

12. Kristie
    December 16, 2010 | 5:46 pm

We had similar problems with the public restrooms with both our little ones. I think it’s a comfort thing with them wanting to do it at home.

I can’t believe she stomps in her puddle like it’s a mud puddle! Too funny! Though I’m sure it’s not funny for you :-/

So funny story potty training my little guy. I started in the Spring so he could learn to pee outside (thinking it’d be more fun for him) and he starting peeing on trees fairly well. Unfortunately he pooed in his pants quite often at the beginning :-/ When he FINALLY started to get the hang of the potty thing he thought since he could pee on trees, he could poo on them too…and he did! I guess that whole going potty outside thing was a little TOO fun! LOL!

13. Teresha@ Marlie and Me
    December 17, 2010 | 6:06 am

I have no advice to offer since I have no potty training experience except my little brothers who were easy. I read the comments because I am taking notes! I agree with Molly about a travel potty since there might come a day when you are away from home all day. I can only imagine the pee stomp is not fun for you to clean up, but it sounds like she is splashing like in a rain puddle.

14. Lorie Shewbridge
    December 17, 2010 | 9:34 pm

Boy, I don’t envy you… I remember those days. I for one, have never minded a woman with a little girl or boy asking to get in front of me in line at a restroom when they’ve told me that they were potty training. I don’t think there is anyone who would, so don’t ever feel bad if you have to ask to cut in line if it helps.
    Good luck!

15. Debra @ A Frugal Friend
    December 18, 2010 | 11:34 pm

Oh my…I thought I was the only one who had a 3 yr old with the biggest bladder. We are 3 months into this and potty training went great, but she never goes except at home….we can be out for hours. So I finally put a “potty” in the back of the car and she “sometimes” will use it after a few hours. LOL Once we scrambled in Target when she said she needed to go…….got in there and nope. Craziness! :-) Of course, I dont’ like public bathrooms either. LOL

16. alissa apel
    December 20, 2010 | 9:51 am

She sounds just like my son Isaak. Mica was so easy! Isaak gets it. He does well at home, and not anywhere else. My sister watches him 2 days a week and my parents 1. It’s challenging! I wish I could take off a week just to work with him.

He got messed up with being sick two weeks ago, and hasn’t made a come back.

Isaak’s much more stubborn then Mica in all regards. If he doesn’t want to go, it’s hard changing his mind. I’ve caught him a few times trying to aim. Then he tries to wipe himself after going number 2. Lots of waist! I told him that Mommy needs to help him with that.

My mom said that I was so hard. So yes, girls are not always easy.

I read once that you can use a timer. You keep expanding the time week by week, or day by day. When the timer goes off they know that it’s time to stop playing; and time to go potty. It might be worth a try.

17. alissa apel
    December 20, 2010 | 9:55 am

About potty travel: I have a friend that has an ice cream bucket in the back. It has a lid for messes. She has a portable potty seat that fits right onto the bucket. I thought that was a great idea for road trips!

My sister never used a potty seat because they have this fear of falling in in public restrooms. Especially the automatic flush ones. She puts her kids on sideways. Then they don’t get used to having a seat all the time. I wish I would have done this with my two!