When the hot months start rolling around, most of us want to drop a few pounds. Our warm comfy sweaters are stored away and our swim suits and summer dresses are pulled out. To get ready for summer, I try to snack healthier. Between meals, I reach for foods that not only nourish me, but satisfy my taste buds. Old London’s All Natural snacks are perfect not only for snacks, but with the right recipes, they can actually be part of a meal or dessert!
Thanks to Mom Central, I was able to try out Old London’s Spicy Cheddar Bagel Chips, Sesame Melba Toast and Roasted Garlic Melba Snacks! All are delicious – so delicious that my daughters have been enjoying them as well! Now that the heat is turning up here in California, I am seeking easy to prepare snacks and meals that do not involve standing over a hot stove. I really enjoy the Roasted Garlic Melba Snacks with sliced tomato and sprinkled with goat cheese – yum!
And because I do not like buying the prepackaged cracker and processed lunch meat snacks for my girls, the Melba Toast have been a hit. My daughters get to assemble their meats and toppings onto their own perfect sized toasts for the delicious and nutritious lunch!
Old London is hosting a fabulous “Aloha Old London” Sweepstakes! One lucky winner and a guest will receive an all-expense paid experience at the Hilton Village Beach Resort & Spa in Waikiki.
Imagine lounging in Waikiki’s largest 10,000 square-foot pool while waiting for your Lomilomi massage at Mandara Spa! Do you like cooking – how about a lesson with an award-winning chef? The package includes this and more, even surf lessons! Head on over to www.Facebook.com/OldLondonFoods for more information and to enter the sweepstakes!
Here a few Hawaiian themed recipes, thanks to Old London Melba Snacks! If you do not win the Sweepstakes, make these, lean back, close your eyes and imagine – Hawaiian dreams!
- 2 cups thawed frozen mango chunks, sliced
- 1 cup thawed frozen guava or 2 cups kiwi chunks, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded, de-ribbed and finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 box Old London Melba Toast Whole Grain or Spicy 3 Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve with Old London Melba Toast Whole Grain or Spicy 3 Pepper.
Mauna Style Mini Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Cover the bottom of a slow cooker with garlic, onion ginger, chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and chines five-spice powder and stir till well mixed.
- Add roast to slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 8 more hours. When done, remove the roast from liquid and allow to cool slightly
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and water to form a smooth paste. Set slow cooker on high and whisk the cornstarch paste into the cooker until sauce comes to a boil.
- Turn heat to low ad allow to simmer for 3 minutes until it thickens into gravy.
- Remove and discard any fat or skin from the meat and using a fork, pull each piece of pork into shreds and place in a separte bowl.
- add pineapple, scallions and just enough of the hot gravy to the pulled port to bind it but not saturate it.
- Place a layer of pork on one piece of Melba toast and top with another slice of Melba.
Banana Melba Pineapple Upside-down “Cake”
- 2 Boxes of Old London Melba Toast Classic
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup of canned pineapple juice, chilled
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 2 8-oz. cans of crushed pineapple drained
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced thin
- 8 Maraschino cherries
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a small bowl, mix corn starch with chilled pineapple juice.
3. Add sugar and melted butter and mix thoroughly.
4. Cover a large loaf pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
5. Place maraschino cherries at bottom of pan.
6. In alternating layers starting with the pineapple, layer Melba toast, pineapple, and bananas in loaf pan.
7. Press gently, and then pour over the pineapple juice mixture.
8. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
“I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Old London and received product samples and a gift certificate to thank me for taking the time to participate.”