Friday the 13th

At a young age, I became superstitious. All it took was me walking under a ladder and then later in the day, I got spanked. I cannot remember what I did to receive that spanking, but I have always remembered the correlation of walking under the ladder and getting spanked.

Bad luck.

I mean really, what is worse than walking under a ladder?

Getting your path crossed by a black cat? Breaking a mirror? Spilling salt?

I did not realize it was Friday the 13th until I was checking my daughter into her 5 year old well visit appointment. I knew this visit was more than just the typical weigh, measure and simple questions about her development. It was more about completing her vaccinations to get her prepared for Kindergarten.

She knew this too and was prepared to be her bravest yet.

But, nothing can really prepare a 5 year old for three shots and a TB test.

The last time she was pricked with anything was about a year and a half ago. She had an allergy screening that resulted with her almost going into shock. She ended up in cold sweat, pale and very sleepy. It was not a pleasant experience.

I hoped for the best today and now that it is over, I am thankful my husband was off of work to help me out.

After her TB test, she completely freaked out. I never remember her acting the way she did today. Aiyana has never been the one to throw tantrums and yell, but today she screamed and if she knew how to curse, she probably would have done that too.

She begged us to take her home, she pleaded with the nurse to not give her shots. There was no other choice than to hold her down and let the nurse do her job. As I fought back my own tears, I saw Aiyana’s face turn white, the beads of sweat started to form and she begged us to take her home to nap. My heart stopped in fear of her actually going into shock. The nurse stopped and asked her if she wanted some water.

My desperation set in.

As a mother I would do anything to calm Aiyana down. And I seriously mean anything because out of my memory bank, I remembered how badly Aiyana wanted Squinkies.

Squinkies

Months ago, I received an email to review Squinkies, but I politely declined. We have so many toys filling up this house already, why would I want something with so many tiny pieces to add to the choas?

After Aiyana found out about Squinkies, she has been asking for them all.the.time! Being brilliant at avoiding toys like that, I have kept us a Squinkie free household.

But as I saw her so terrified on that table, I told her that after she gets her shots, we can go get her a set of Squinkies. I have never seen such a turn in emotion, not only did she smile, but there were even some giggles – I love those giggles!

Desperation.

As she walked to the car, she walked a little taller. Although it was so traumatic, she walked out of there being proud that she did it. And even more excited that she is ready for Kindergarten.

And I will never let her know that today is Friday the 13th because for the rest of her life, she will probably remember this day and associate it with her traumatic experience of getting her Kindergarten vaccinations.

Her bad luck.

Of course, the next place we visited was Target. Aiyana chose her set of Squinkies, so proud that she earned it. And because Chloe was so good in the office, we let her pick out a set too. Although, I think Chloe was being good in fear that it was her turn next.

Now that we are a Squinkies household (and I say household because I do imagine that one day they are going to take over this place!), I have to admit that I actually like them. Not only did they keep the girls occupied during our lunch out, but Aiyana has been playing with them all afternoon.

Squinkies

That left me with a little bit of time to enjoy our weather and squeeze in some reading.

reading outside

And the hubs? He actually took a nap – outdoors!

Naptime

The Squinkie are so worth it!

I never thought I would bribe my kids with toys, but I have learned as a parent – never say never. How do your children handle vaccinations? Have you ever bribed your children with anything?

Photobucket

Related posts:

1. Speaking of Memories…
  2. Aloha Friday – First Steps
  3. Am I Losing It?
  4. WWW = Too Much 411 = Paranoid Parent
  5. Early Morning Conversations
15 Responses to Friday the 13th
  1. Jessica
    May 13, 2011 | 11:02 pm

Your poor daughter. I’ve never had my kids freak out that bad about shots before but then again they have never gone to the doctor’s on Friday the 13th. I hope she has fun with her new toys.

2. BethP
    May 14, 2011 | 4:33 am

What a brave girl! I’m glad she did so well and both girls earned something special! I’m also glad they picked out something they love so much it holds their attention like that!

3. Debby Pucci
    May 14, 2011 | 9:42 am

It’s so hard to watch them get their shots. I think a bribe is perfect!

4. alissa apel
    May 14, 2011 | 7:46 pm

Mica screamed. I held him down. Then that was that. Not too bad. I think he went in not thinking he’d get shots.

5. Kayla
    May 14, 2011 | 8:34 pm

Oh dear….I can imagine as a mom, going through watching your child in that much pain and fear is just heartbreaking-I know before I got sick, I would freak out at needles too, but 7+ years of tests and treatments and blood draws, it’s nothing to me anymore. Lol

I’m glad everything turned out okay though!! It really sounds like despite not wanting them in the house, they were really more of a God-sent then initially realized :)

6. Casey
    May 15, 2011 | 3:42 am

I am sorry I didn’t have time to read to post but will come back to it. I am just happy I refound your blog I have been looking for it. I messed up my old blog and anted to get rid of it to get rid of the girls names anyways I have been wanting to tell you I have a new home. Its at http://yestheyreallmine.com

i will be back to read

7. Michelle Carter
    May 15, 2011 | 7:48 am

I so know what you went through — my son is the reason our clinic no longer has locks on the exam room doors. He freaked out so badly over a flu shot when he was 3 that he leaped off the table, ran across the hall into the next room, and locked the door behind him, screaming all the way. He’s 9 now, and the nurses still laugh and ask him if he has his running shoes on.

8. Teresha@ Marlie and Me
    May 15, 2011 | 8:08 am

I don’t know what I’d do if my child has a panic attack during shots, but a bribe seems like a good tool to keep in the back of my mind. Maybe she’ll remember Friday the 13th as a happy toy shopping day

9. Kim
    May 15, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Hey, you gotta do what you’ve gotta do. No shame in bribery.

10. Busy Bee Suz
    May 15, 2011 | 4:11 pm

Getting those shots is always NON fun events for us!!! Poor baby…at least it is over with for a while.

11. Melanie @ Whimsical Creations
    May 15, 2011 | 4:51 pm

Definitely bribery is worth it! My daughter LOVES squinkies.

12. Melanie
    May 15, 2011 | 7:32 pm

Oh, this story gave me flashbacks of my son’s pre-K vaccines and lead test. We bribed with about a zillion things but he climbed as far under the exam table has he could. He was screaming, begging and it took 3 people to hold him down. When we were done he had petechiae (a type of bruise) from holding his breath as they held him. IT WAS HORRIBLE!

Now, I actually buy the item and bring it along. He can have it immediately when they are done.

13. Missy | The Literal Mom
    May 16, 2011 | 1:15 pm

Our house is Squinkie central. And I find other toys much worse. They’re actually pretty cute and my kids love little toys, so it’s a good fit. Unless the dog gets them and mangles them. Then there are tears. Glad your day turned out OK.

14. Danno
    May 16, 2011 | 2:15 pm

Nope. Absolutely no bribing in this house. I just take them home and let them make pudding.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks